A really good way to learn more about a tarot card’s potential meanings is to pull a card of the day (CotD) in the morning, jot down some ideas that come to mind about it, then spend a few minutes reviewing the day before going to bed. You may end up adding more ideas to your CotD musings. You’ll be clearer about how your earlier interpretations were helpful and correct, but in ways that you might not have expected. Here’s an example from my own journal, using yesterday’s CotD, the Tower.
Morning Journal Entry:
TOWER. Be a catalyst for insight & change. Bolt-from-the-sky inspiration. An old structure is coming apart. Shaking things up on all levels and in all aspects of life. Surprise! Impossible to continue life as before. Purification. A sense of urgency (deadline?). General overturning. Overthrow of false consciousness, values, or belief. De-structuring old forms.
Evening Journal Entry:
Reviewing the day, here’s how the Tower card manifested for me today:
- Be a catalyst for insight & change = doing a tarot session for client and seeing hir light up with realisation.
- Old structures coming apart AND de-structuring old forms = me consciously dismantling the way that [Name] and I have related with one another.
- Surprise = after several months of no contact, A. ‘phoned me an hour ago.
- Sense of urgency (deadline?) = the deadline for Readers Studio 2011 study group proposals is Nov. 10, so I finished writing them and sent them in.
- Sudden change = the piano tuner called to change the piano tuning appointment from Thursday to tomorrow.
- Bolt-from-the-sky inspiration = to show [Client Name] the “Co-Creator’s Handbook” because the cards reminded me of its concepts. Later on, I created a tarot layout based on the book’s 10 sections.
- Purification = my body clearing the lungs and nose after a week of having a cold.
- Impossible to continue life as before = [Name] and I now consider ourselves to be in this form of relationship, and there’s no going back at this point.
- General overturning = route interfered with by construction at Glen Rd., and Elm Ave. Also, the systems meltdown at [Name]’s office.
- Overthrow of false consciousness, values, or belief = I refuse to receive shallow monosyllabic or monosentence responses when I’m attempting to engage in real conversation. So I will no longer initiate deep conversation with those who don’t wish to converse in a deeper manner. I choose to be more council-like in conversation with an intimate loved one.
Not only am I clearer about certain things in my life, my awareness of what the Tower can be about is widened.