I’m not pleased with the results of the Toronto municipal election. The elected (not by me) mayor is right-wing and not friendly to many things that could keep our city vibrant.
Only 52 % of eligible voters in Toronto actually went to the polls. This is supposedly a higher number than usual, but where were the other 48%? Almost half of those who can vote didn’t. How disappointing that so many people turned down the opportunity to use a great privilege. I know people who can’t vote yet because they don’t have citizenship, but they really want to contribute to our electoral system.
As far as I’m concerned, if someone has the right to vote and they don’t use it, they have no right to complain when things go awry.
I did a short reading with the William Blake Tarot of the Creative Imagination about all of this.
1. What caused 48% of Torontonians to not vote in this municipal election? 2 of Science (Reflection). Their minds were on the fence about the candidates. They needed more time and information before they could make a clear decision. They felt cautious because they believed we needed some form of compromise.
2. What were/are Torontonians really seeking in a Mayor? Child of Poetry. Bold vision. Daring individuality. Someone who is receptive to ideas and inspiration and who opens hirself to imaginative breakthroughs.
3. In what other ways can we experience the qualities named by the second card? XVI. Lightning. Be catalysts of reform. Be thundering voices for change. Channel anger constructively. Be the breakthroughs that we’d like to see in our city.