Today, January 6, is the festival of the Epiphany in many christian traditions, a celebration that’s older than what we now have as Christmas. “Epiphany” means “revelation”, “striking appearance”, or “manifestation”. This inspires me to come to Life with questions based on this theme and to allow the tarot to respond to them.
- What wants or needs to be revealed to us at this time? XV, the Devil, reversed. Collective unconscious shadow material that contributes to our self-limiting feelings and behaviour.
- How can we best pay attention to it? 10 of Pentacles, reversed. Take a break from self-destructive urges; put self-abuse on pause; look before leaping into commitments that could be traps.
- In what life-sustaining way(s) can we employ this revelation? Ace of Swords, upright. Initiate a dialogue with the shadow (in the journal? with a therapist/guide? in a circle of trusted peers? other?); consciously stimulate conversations about shadow and limitations with one another; begin fresh, conscious lifestyles.
Seeing Trump XV reversed makes me think of these sayings:
- Demon est Deus inversus (the devil is god upside-down).
- The devil is merely the divine as seen by the unwise/uninitiated.
These inspire a fourth question: What divine gifts can be brought forth through the revelation of and dialogue with the shadow? XVIIII, the Sun, reversed. Our bright shadow (previously hidden “gold”/treasure); revitalisation of the human spirit; an epiphany of humanity’s True Core Self.